Web CMS Designs: Forums

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:27 am
Reply with quote Back to top
nextgen

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I was reading your article on the Chameleon theme and the idea of a style switcher is very nice. I am sure you have seen a lot of the Wordpress themes that have a slider thats pops out and allows BG color, font and other choices to be changed (although not permanent). I like that idea a lot. Will have to dig into this some more.

Always on the leading edge here at webcmsdesigns.com
nextgenwith Kindness comes many rewards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:07 am
spasticdonkey

Thanks for the kind words. I was having fun with the style switching theme but had to put it on the back burner for a variety of reasons. My original plan was alot of work as I was trying to create 4 different themes in one, including light and dark styles.

I may have to tone down the project a bit if it's ever to be completed, but still hope to do a light/dark theme switcher

There is still too much inline styling in RN 2.5 for it to work as I wanted it to, ie anywhere
$bgcolor1
or
$textcolor1
etc is being used. It's an antiquated method for styling that should have been removed long ago, imo. Hoping to get it removed, or at least on the way out, in the next major release. We should really be using classes instead.

css Code:
.bgcolor1{background-color:#F4F6FB}

.bgcolor2{background-color:#BBCCDC}
.bgcolor3{background-color:#F4F6FB}
.bgcolor4{background-color:#BBCCDC}
.textcolor1{color:#516A88}
.textcolor2{color:#516A88}

Now that I got that rant off my chest I feel better, lol. It should be easier to accomplish much of this after RN 3.0... so look forward to returning to this when that day comes. For now I'll stay busy with the Mobile theme and various other endeavors. One project does tend to lead to another so never really know what tomorrow will bring.
spasticdonkeywebcmsdesigns

Last edited by spasticdonkey on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:14 am
nextgen

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hopefully with RN 3 CSS3 and HTML5 will be used more.

You can see the time and effort you put into your theme. Very well done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:17 am
spasticdonkey

Guardian did some great work on a header class which I'm hoping will be integrated into RN3, Although this thread was a little hijacked from the original topic and drifts into several areas, it will give you an idea of what it could do. But grab some coffee because it goes on for awhile, and some have said the discussion was a little hard to follow; which I can't argue too much with... guilty as charged Smile

The short version being: More control over the document
<head>
on a theme-by-theme basis

I'm also hoping for doctype flexibility so that RN can run in HTML5 or XHTML, but we'll just have to see what happens. If we attach solely to HTML5, most current themes would have a ton of validation issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 am
nextgen

I would love to hear what it could do. Would be great to be able to add an option to use html5 if we wished to. I know there are still some browsers that are not compatible fully yet but i do not use those browsers. Smile

I re started the new theme and keep falling into my css3 and html5 ways ( because it is so flexible).

In time would you touch more on the blocks and Class IDs per block name. That peaked my interest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 am
spasticdonkey

nextgen wrote In time would you touch more on the blocks and Class IDs per block name. That peaked my interest.

I had actually planned on doing a quicky tutorial for this for awhile, so found some time to get it done today Smile

The approach changed as it's much easier to base it on the actual block id as stored in the db
Unique IDs for RavenNuke Blocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 am
nextgen

Excellent stuff, i have a folder just for bits and snippets that i use frequently. That is going in there my friend. Excellent stuff. Thank you so much.

Your AccountNew Members