Web CMS Designs: Forums

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 am
Reply with quote Back to top
spasticdonkey

Just a demo thread displaying some of Advanced BBCode Box for RavenNuke v2.5 features:

Float an Image to the Left

[imgleft]http://yoursite.com/image.jpg[/imgleft]

DuckDuckGo Web Search in Modal ravennuke

[duck]your search term[/duck]

Wikipedia Search in Modal ravennuke suerte

[wiki]your search term[/wiki]
[wiki=es]your search term[/wiki]

[youtube="video-large-center"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mODqQvlrgIQ[/youtube]

Code Highlighting
javascript Code:
	$(".cfoot-forums,.cfoot-home,.cfoot-feeds,.cfoot-news,.cfoot-downloads,.cfoot-content,.cfoot-sitemap,.cfoot-theme,.cfoot-login,.cfoot-exit,.cfoot-bullseye").tooltip({

effect: 'slide',
offset: [12, 0],
position: 'top right'});
$(".cfoot-loadtime").tooltip({
position: 'top right',
tip: '#rn-total-time'});
$(".cfoot-info").tooltip({
position: 'top right',
tip: '#fb-copyright'});

Forum Search Tags forum mod bbcode

[tag]search tag[/tag]
spasticdonkeywebcmsdesigns

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:15 pm
spasticdonkey

More Previews
Internet Archive (video) -->
DuckDuckGo Web Search in Modal RavenNuke
Wikipedia Search in Modal RavenNuke

International Wikipedia Search in Modal:
suerte

Forums Search/Keyword Tag:
forum mod advanced bbcode box

Dynamic Twitter Signature:
nuken1

Internet Archive (audio)
Video Size

Video Position

<- Video Size & Position
Optional Features

Code Highlighting featuring Highlight
Highlight.js highlights syntax in code examples on blogs, forums and in fact on any web pages. It's very easy to use because it works automatically: finds blocks of code, detects a language, highlights it. Growing assortment of CSS based themes allows highlighting to be customized on a theme-by-theme basis. 16 languages are supported by default, although over 40 languages can be used if required by an individual site. The basic 16 valid classes are: apache, bash, cpp, cs, css, diff, html, ini, java, javascript, perl, php, python, ruby, sql, xml

Iconize Links to Desired Sites
A purely CSS based addon which automatically adds icons to links, allowing for specific icons to be used for specific sites. Use the included Vector Social Media Icons to "Iconize" as many popular social sites as desired; or create/find your own icons to "Iconize" your favorites sites from around the web. Easy to add sites and customize to your needs. Intended for use in the forums, but can be used sitewide if desired.

Easy YouTube Video Embeds
Let's face it, users are lazy or don't necessarily always understand how to use bbcode. So why not allow for easy embedding of youtube videos by simply including the URL to the video, with no extra markup required? Enter the EasyTube Mod to add auto-embed support for over a dozen popular youtube URL's. Special thanks to eldorado for the idea and getting the ball rolling on implementation, and to ridgerunner for writing and maintaining an excellent regular expression suited for the job.

Tricked Out News #hashtag Mod
Adds a Twitter like hashtag mod for your RavenNukeā„¢ forum. If you are not familiar with hashtags, they are any SINGLE word that you place the # sign in front of, to link to a keyword search in the forum. Although it functions in a similar manner to that of the newly added term it makes a nice shorthand compliment for quickly tagging desired posts. Not to mention, installation only requires one additional line of code! Thanks nuken!

Find it at Tricked Out News and get previews or become a fan of the mod on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AdvancedBBCodeBoxForRavenNuke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:07 am
kguske

Spasticdonkey, this is a great mod! I wonder if you would consider adding it to the Advanced Quick Reply mod and the BBCode Buttons in Advanced Quick Reply Hack. I'm not sure which quick reply mod you're using on this site, but the AQR mod also has the ability to quote selected text and to insert a poster's user name by clicking the name (see RavenPHPScripts for an example). Of course, it might be easier to incorporate these features into whichever quick reply mod you're using...

Also, I'm curious which mods you used for:
- select expand with language-specific code notations (e.g. PHP Code, CSS Code)
- expand user's profile to display view user profile, view website, etc.
- any other forum mods you recommend

If we eventually break out modules (like phpBB 2 Forums) from RavenNuke, it would be very good IMO to have, at least, recommended forum mods, if not incorporate them into an expanded Forums module for RN.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:49 am
spasticdonkey

kguske wrote Spasticdonkey, this is a great mod! I wonder if you would consider adding it to the Advanced Quick Reply mod and the BBCode Buttons in Advanced Quick Reply Hack. I'm not sure which quick reply mod you're using on this site, but the AQR mod also has the ability to quote selected text and to insert a poster's user name by clicking the name (see RavenPHPScripts for an example). Of course, it might be easier to incorporate these features into whichever quick reply mod you're using...

Also, I'm curious which mods you used for:
- select expand with language-specific code notations (e.g. PHP Code, CSS Code)
- expand user's profile to display view user profile, view website, etc.
- any other forum mods you recommend

If we eventually break out modules (like phpBB 2 Forums) from RavenNuke, it would be very good IMO to have, at least, recommended forum mods, if not incorporate them into an expanded Forums module for RN.

Quick Reply

It's been awhile, but pretty sure I'm using the unmodified quick reply from RN (don't remember making edits), styled via CSS.

I did have to use a little JavaScript as there is some lingering hard coded styling in the stock quick reply (white background on helpline and hard coded widths on the buttons). This code is wrapped in a
$(document).ready(function(){});

javascript Code:
	$("#quick_reply_form input.button").css("width","auto");

$("#quick_reply_form input.helpline").css("background-color","transparent");

With my template like so, the rest is done via CSS:
html Code:
<div id="quick_reply_form">{QUICK_REPLY_FORM}</div>

I like the idea of adding to the quick reply, I will look into that. Do you have a copy of the Quick Reply mod you prefer?

Expand user's profile to display view user profile, view website, etc.

I used hoverIntent for the "slide down" effects that reveal a users' contact icons. The JavaScript is surprisingly simple
javascript Code:
$(document).ready(function(){

$(".forum-speaker").hoverIntent(
function() { $(this).children(".fcontacts").show("slow"); },
function() { $(this).children(".fcontacts").hide("slow"); }
);
});

A simplified version of the html markup
html Code:
<div class="forum-speaker"><span class="name"></span>

<span class="postdetails"></span>
<div class="forum-avatar"></div>
<span class="postdetails"></span>
<div class="fcontacts"></div>
</div>

There is other associated styling but the important part:
.forum-speaker .fcontacts{display:none;}
. The title effects are done separately via jQuery Tools, which is a pretty cool small UI library. http://jquerytools.org/

Select expand with language-specific code notations (e.g. PHP Code, CSS Code)

This is a part of the BBCode Box mod and the language-specific code notations correspond to the language selection dropdown on the posting page. Unfortunately there is nothing "automatic" about it if you are trying to use within other modules. It would probably be possible to come up with a similar dropdown for the CKeditor I just haven't had time to try it..

The code blocks may look a little different on my site as a modified my templates to use
<fieldset>
and
<legend>
instead of tables as in the default mod.

Note the example on the right includes an unreleased feature of "inline code snippet" which I have used a couple times in this post. The select/expand part of the mod is pretty much the same as posted on nuken's site. I spent about half a day trying to come up with a jQuery replacement as I didn't like it's use of document.write, but eventually threw in the towel. Turns out the text selection code is kinda complex to get working cross-browser, and the methods used in that script are all still valid (minus document.write).

Any other forum mods you recommend
I started on an AJAX thumbs up/thumbs down mod for individual posts, but it's become buried in the pile of priorities... but that's one I would like to see. Also started on a sharing modification which you can try by clicking the minipost icon next to any post. It hasn't been finished due to problems with IE9 Sad

The other one I'm a fan of is "Title in the URL" but that requires a fair amount of edits, some of them undocumented.. The approach is similar to that posted on nukecoders' site, although you're not even a shortlink user Wink

On a related note I got off on working on a theme which will include a "light version" of this forum template, which will include the forum icons, scripting, etc, as used on this site. Even taking a stab at making it responsive too Smile

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 am
kguske

I saw jQueryTools several years ago, but was unimpressed with the author's "perspective" on jQuery and other tools. Since I've seen no compelling reason to use it (there have always been better choices), it hasn't been on the radar since. But I haven't looked at it recently.

Anyway, no favorite quick reply mod - I like the one in RN, and having ABBC in QR would be great...

Other Forum Mods

Last night, I went through a huge number of forum mods (e.g. there were 3 or 4 quick reply mods, some had additional enhancements, too), both nuked and not, eliminated duplicates and categorized them. I'm preparing a summary of the ones that might be useful (IMO, of course), and identifying the major file changes and if changes to themes are required. Some of the ones I thought would be helpful are already in RavenPHPScripts.com forums (I'm looking at what it would take to convert that site to RN, and don't want to lose anything). That includes:
    * Display Poster Information Once
    * Hide Links
    * Resize Posted Images Based on Max Width (or Easy Resize Posted Images)
Removing Spam Incentives

In addition to Hide Links,
    * Your Profile & SIgnature Spam Control
    * Spammer Sabotaging could be an alternate to Hide Links - it ads nofollow to links posted by users with fewer than 5 posts, but the problem with that approach is that typical spammers don't realize this (they could also miss the hidden links and continue to post links...)
    * Report Posts
User Experience

Most of these require theme changes, but also offer useful features to make posting more convenient:
    * Send PM Pop-up (by clicking the poster's PM link)
    * Clicking the poster name to insert into the QR or preview box (this is part of the Advanced Quick Reply mod and is installed on RavenPHPScripts)
    * Quote Selected (also part of Advanced Quick Reply, if I remember correctly)
    * Include Sender's Name in Private Message Notification (but not the Extended Private Message Notification, which I think would cause people to reply to the notification)
    * Forum Watch (aka Watch this Forum)
    * Palbin's Sub Forums or one of the others that is similar
There are probably more worthy of consideration - I'll post a full summary when I finish the review.

As for shortlinks, although I agree having article titles in the URL would be good, the reasons I haven't switched are:
    * I'm not convinced it adds SEO value - though the article titles might add user value vs. a number
    * The complexity and opportunity for issues further reduces the value.
Of course, I may be a huge minority in that opinion...

Anyway, thank you so much for the detailed and informative post. I'd be very interested in the theme with a light version of this forum template - it's quite beautiful and very appealing, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:19 am
spasticdonkey

kguske wrote I saw jQueryTools several years ago, but was unimpressed with the author's "perspective" on jQuery and other tools. Since I've seen no compelling reason to use it (there have always been better choices), it hasn't been on the radar since. But I haven't looked at it recently.

Anyway, no favorite quick reply mod - I like the one in RN, and having ABBC in QR would be great...

Other Forum Mods

Last night, I went through a huge number of forum mods (e.g. there were 3 or 4 quick reply mods, some had additional enhancements, too), both nuked and not, eliminated duplicates and categorized them. I'm preparing a summary of the ones that might be useful (IMO, of course), and identifying the major file changes and if changes to themes are required. Some of the ones I thought would be helpful are already in RavenPHPScripts.com forums (I'm looking at what it would take to convert that site to RN, and don't want to lose anything). That includes:
    * Display Poster Information Once
    * Hide Links
    * Resize Posted Images Based on Max Width (or Easy Resize Posted Images)
Removing Spam Incentives

In addition to Hide Links,
    * Your Profile & SIgnature Spam Control
    * Spammer Sabotaging could be an alternate to Hide Links - it ads nofollow to links posted by users with fewer than 5 posts, but the problem with that approach is that typical spammers don't realize this (they could also miss the hidden links and continue to post links...)
    * Report Posts
User Experience

Most of these require theme changes, but also offer useful features to make posting more convenient:
    * Send PM Pop-up (by clicking the poster's PM link)
    * Clicking the poster name to insert into the QR or preview box (this is part of the Advanced Quick Reply mod and is installed on RavenPHPScripts)
    * Quote Selected (also part of Advanced Quick Reply, if I remember correctly)
    * Include Sender's Name in Private Message Notification (but not the Extended Private Message Notification, which I think would cause people to reply to the notification)
    * Forum Watch (aka Watch this Forum)
    * Palbin's Sub Forums or one of the others that is similar
There are probably more worthy of consideration - I'll post a full summary when I finish the review.

As for shortlinks, although I agree having article titles in the URL would be good, the reasons I haven't switched are:
    * I'm not convinced it adds SEO value - though the article titles might add user value vs. a number
    * The complexity and opportunity for issues further reduces the value.
Of course, I may be a huge minority in that opinion...

Anyway, thank you so much for the detailed and informative post. I'd be very interested in the theme with a light version of this forum template - it's quite beautiful and very appealing, IMO.

Great list there and thanks for taking the time to put that together. You bring up some good ideas I had not thought of.

Resize Posted Images, Report Posts, Profile & SIgnature Spam Control, Spammer Sabotaging, Send PM Pop-up, Sender's Name in Private Message Notification, and Forum Watch could have potential uses on just about any forum. I've never used "Forum Watch" but assume it is the same as watching a topic. Really like the "Resize Posted Images" idea.

Display Poster Information Once and Hide Links could have applications on some sites. I haven't tried it, but would think you could do "Display Poster Information Once" via CSS
.container:first-child{}
, but it would lack IE7 support.

I would love to have a repository of some of these mods with pre-modded files. The problem arises when users want to install more than one mod, that have overlapping files. Ideally, several of these mods could be combined into one mod with an ACP to turn some features on/off. I've never built a phpbb2 admin panel so not sure what would be involved.

Palbin's Sub Forums mod was a last minute addition to RN 2.5, so it's fortunately available @ current as long as you have made the required template edits. The core themes come pre-edited.
http://rnwiki.ravennuke.com/wiki/RavenNuke2:Recipes

I'll look at working in some of the QR features you mentioned to a BBCode Box QR, although I've never used "Quote Selected" and it doesn't appear to actually work on Raven's site. Some of the text selection stuff is challenging due to IE playing by a different set of rules than every other browser.. I'll see what unfolds.

In terms of jQuery Tools (JQT) I haven't done an in-depth analysis, but it did what I needed it to do; and the library is small in size. Needed an alternative to colorbox which presents some problems with dark-colored themes (light colored text). The overlays within JQT are easy to work with and can be assigned to any container and styled via CSS. Since it had a method for dealing with titles I used that as well, but could have used cluetip just as easily. I also like qtip for titles, http://craigsworks.com/projects/qtip/demos/ which has a new version in the works http://craigsworks.com/projects/qtip2/

JQT also has some methods for slideshows and accordions.. I might use the latter in some cases, but for sliders I want something responsive so went another direction for my recent slider needs. I know you had some recent slider work in progress, and curious if you had any favorites in terms of responsive sliders. As far as one that can handle html, I found caroufredsel to work quite nicely. For a pure image responsive slider I like galleria and for lightweight image slider ResponsiveSlides.js. Montego tweeted about a really nice looking one awhile back, but it was a paid script..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:16 pm
kguske

Some updates on this:
    * I added the Quote Selected feature to ABBC on a test RN2.51 site. Previously, this only worked with IE, but I modified (and tested) it with Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari.
    * Added Hide Links, Display Poster Info Once, Forum Notifications (Watch), Sender's Name in Private Message Notification to the same site, along with several others that Raven had previously added to his site, which I'm planning to convert to RN
    * Used a slightly modified version of the CSS image max-width mod posted on TrickedOutNews (you contributed to this, I think)
    * For Hide Links, I used a CSS class to enable webmasters to configure this in the theme, rather than by changing php or templates
    * After a few more forum mods and testing, I'm hoping to do some work on RNYA admin and (finally) get back to nukeSLIDERS (featuring CarouFredSel)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:00 am
spasticdonkey

That's great you've had some time to get to some of this. I've had my head in forum templates as well lately; working on a html5 responsive template for the next distro. Making some minor tweaks to the forum module as well, which shouldn't effect forum mods too much outside of line numbers..

Look forward to your RNYA and nukeSLIDERS work. I enjoyed CarouFredSel responsive features, so good choice Smile

Post new topic Reply to topic Web CMS Designs Forum Index RavenNuke Tweaks and Tips
Your AccountNew Members