Web CMS Designs: Forums

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 pm
Reply with quote Back to top
gator81

I am sorry to ask as I have not had a lot of time to truly research the answer myself.

Where would i look or is there a setting where a forum can be set to allow reg users the ability to post but the post has to be validated by moderator or admin before it can be seen by anyone else? could this also be done for anonymous users? where anyone could post on part of forum but it still would have to be validated before seen.

Thank you for any direction or information you could help with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:27 am
spasticdonkey

Unfortunately there is no method to do this by default, but here is an Approve Posts Mod for PHPBB2... but it would need to be converted for use with RavenNuke. Unless there is a nuked version I don't know about, which there may be. I've never used it but this is what I found.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=2183442

We have a list of desired forum mods that I'll try to remember to add this to. I have so many projects going at the moment I can't take a look at this personally for awhile Rolling Eyes
spasticdonkeywebcmsdesigns

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm
gator81

thank you for giving me a start to research some of this. The link seems to be for a mod that was created over 6 years ago and I have tested it on two different local servers and I have had no luck. It seems that a version of phpbb 3 or later patch has it already incorperated in the admin of phpbb. I found a couple other names for what people called this but the one that stood out the most was something like "moderator post que" or even an admin que. What it would do is all selected groups could be set to allow post or the post would be put in a que to be approved by admin or moderator.
It could be that Ravennuke 3.0 could have the latest version of the phpbb which would resolve all of this too, dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:45 am
spasticdonkey

Yeah I noticed that phpbb3 has this feature built-in. There is already a user bridge that would allow you to use phpbb3 (3.0.10) but it would not be as integrated as phpbb2 is with RN at current. I haven't had time to use it too much yet, so if you have any questions about it you'll have to ask over at tricked out news.
http://trickedoutnews.com/download-file-116.html

Any sort of future built-in compatibility for phpbb3 within RN, would also likely only be a user bridge, as opposed the current phpbb2 integration. The current phpbb2 used in RN has been heavily modified to function as a module, and the same would have to be done to phpbb3; and unfortunately there isn't anyone willing to take on the task for phpbb3 for a variety of reasons. Most notably the amount of work involved, as each time phpbb issues a release you have to update your version accordingly. Much easier to maintain a user bridge as you can use the unmodified phpbb releases to update your forums.

For me personally I prefer to stick with an integrated phpbb2 as most anything phpbb3 does can be done with mods for phpbb2. Having the theme of your forums match the rest of the site is nice, and I don't really need many of the features included in phpbb3. Not to say phpbb3 isn't overall a better option if you were evaluating stand-alone forums, as it has many performance enhancements and other options I might find handy if I were using it.

I can say a phpbb3 user bridge is on the roadmap, but not sure when it will happen. For now you have something to try via tricked out news should you want to venture down that road.

As for why the mod isn't working, hard to say without looking at it. I'm pretty sure it could be made to function although it was written for 2.021 and RN uses 2.023.. There are also some differences in file paths in RN as anything in the root/includes directory was moved to root/modules/Forums/includes
spasticdonkeywebcmsdesigns

Post new topic Reply to topic Web CMS Designs Forum Index RavenNuke Tweaks and Tips
Your AccountNew Members